August 25 came rather quickly this past summer, and to be perfectly honest... I was not one bit ready for it. I cried pretty much that whole day that I had to move in to my dorm, lets face the facts when you become comfortable with something its pretty hard to break your habits. The first few weeks were rough for me, I barely ate because I didn't have an appetite and I went home every weekend.
As the weeks went by I slowly became more adjusted to my new living situations (like walking down the hall to the bathroom and sleeping in the same room with someone). I started to make more and more friends as I became more comfortable in my classes, and you can make great friends with people in your dorm halls even if you don’t live in the same room as them.
Finding a job is something that I would really encourage students to pursue. Many freshman students think that getting a job in college is a bad idea because they won’t have enough time to do their school work, have a social life and so forth. I feel the total opposite. My job gives me so many benefits, not to mention the obvious ones like building my resume and getting paid, but also it keeps my mind off of being at home, you meet great co-workers, and you’re not constantly bored in your room. However, it is recommended that you do not work over twenty hours a week. I currently work twelve hours which I think is a great amount. Most on-campus jobs are very flexible to work around your class schedule
If you find that you are having a hard time with adjusting to college life, I really suggest finding something that you can busy yourself with other than just going to class. Whether it’s getting a job, joining a sport, or participating in an on-campus activity it’s something everyone should really look into. At Brockport, the Recreational Services department holds group exercise classes throughout the week usually in the late afternoon and evening. These are a great way to stay in shape and keep busy. (Turbo kick is a personal favorite!)
Not everyone has trouble getting used to college, and some students enjoy being away from home. However, if you’re one of those students that find themselves struggling, try and take some of the advice that I’ve offered. It really does help!
No comments:
Post a Comment